Script Summary: Transforms the MySpace Home into a Facebook-esque tab-based interface with automatically-updating bulletins, status messages, and comments.
Description & Features
MySpace Home - Redesign completely rearranges the MySpace home page (the newer one) into a tab-based layout comparable to that of Facebook. It features four main tabs:
- The bulletins tab displays the fifty most recent of your friends' bulletins.
- The comments tab shows your fifty latest comments.
- The updates tab shows the default MySpace friend updates.
- Finally, the top friends tab shows exactly what it sounds it would show.
The sidebar holds notifications (new messages, new friends, new comments, etc.) and the twenty most recent status messages of your friends. Bulletins, comments, and status all automatically update themselves every thirty seconds.
For users with large screen resolutions (> 1024x768), the CSS in the script changes the main width to stretch out to 1200 pixels. This can be changed on line 248.
The current release is the first. It is only marked as an "alpha" release because the status-updater does not yet work. Any help on that would be appreciated.
The interface was built mostly for functionality, not for aesthetics; it's pretty ugly. It is pretty easy, though, to mess with the CSS found in the code if you know what you're doing. As of the first release, however, you can only change four variables found at the beginning of the script: the default tab that is selected when you first load the page, the rate at which the page refreshes itself, whether or not to "square-ify" images, and finally the number of status messages to display in the sidebar. These and more customizations will be editable through the MySpace home page in a future release.
This script was written with only Firefox 3 with Greasemonkey (0.8+) in mind. I can not guarantee success with any other browser. Additionally, this script was not written to be compatible with other MySpace home userscripts, but I am willing to make some required hooks if you present them to me.
- Integrated friend search
- Comment and message links on top friends
- Online friends tab
- Possible: Inline bulletin viewer
- v0.0.3a (12/12/08) - Fixed links to online and new friends and their birthdays.
- v0.0.2a (12/05/08) - Adjustments to minor MySpace code changes; relative times for bulletins and comments.
- v0.0.1a (11/26/08) - Adjustments to minor MySpace code changes; future versions will be built to accommodate for errors like these.
- v0.0a (11/23/08) - Initial release: status updater is not yet functional.