Script Summary: Additional functionality for the IMDb Message Boards.
Copyright: 2008-2014 http://userscripts.org/users/67626
License: Creative Commons BY-NC-ND 3.0, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
- Reply to or edit posts without leaving the thread so that you can see the whole thread while composing the reply (and it's much faster and better UI).
Same with private messages: Start replying to a PM right in your inbox so that you can see/quote the recipient's PM while composing the reply.
- The original version of my markup script (2009) was creating buttons for the markup on the IMDb Message Boards. Two versions (1 | 2) for different themes.
4.5 years later, IMDb created such buttons on the site, modeled after my script. So I've since removed much of the functionality and code from the script.
However, not all of their buttons work as good as my script did. (For instance, when you click a button, the cursor is placed after the tags, and not between them.) So, instead of abandoning my script, I've updated it to replace some of their buttons' functionality.
If no text was selected, the cursor is placed between the opening and closing tags (this doesn't work right in the IMDb's implementation). If text was selected inside the Body text area, the tags wrap the selection and the cursor is placed after the closing tag.
If text was selected outside the Body text area (in the recipient's post), clicking
[Quote]carries the selection down and wraps it in quote tags, which means you don't have to copy & paste any sentences you're replying to.
[Quote]inserts the tags swapped, making it easy to insert your comments in the middle of a large quoted text to address things point-by-point (though there's limited use for this function).
It's easier to click the
[Link]button first and then paste the URL, so that you don't have to select the URL after pasting it. The cursor is still placed after the closing tag.
Useless parts of the URL (such as
index.html) and accidentally selected leading/trailing white spaces get removed.
Title/name/character/company URLs are converted into text links.
(For instance, "Fargo (1996)" instead of "http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116282/?ref_=nv_sr_1".)
Lists of URLs are also handled properly. That is, if you want to post something like this, you don't have to make each URL clickable separately — the script does the job for you.
S̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ markup is supported. (The button is in the special characters list.)
- The script enables the following hotkeys.
For the markup:
[Tab]= Set focus on the Body text area
[Enter]= Publish the post / send the PM
By the way, the script sets focus on the Body text area automatically when the form loads for the first time (before previewing the message).
- Makes the annoying signatures semitransparent.
You can choose opacity level between 10% and 100%.
This only works for users who have more than one post on the current page because the script compares them to detect a signature. Optional.
- Strangely, the PM link doesn't stand out if you have unread PMs.
The script fixes it by making the new PM link bold. [screenshot]
- Converts the timestamps in threads and PMs from Seattle (IMDb's time zone) to your local time zone. Optional.
Link to post
- IMDb has a permalink icon on posts but it doesn't work correctly in threads with many pages because it includes the page number, which means the link won't work for users with different pagination settings than yours.
The script fixes it so that the link doesn't include the page number. Also, it doesn't reload the page and automatically copies the link. [screenshot]
Delete posts instantly
- Delete your posts instantly, without getting thrown to the thread's first page (or reloading the page).
Delete posts from profile
Board display filter
- Refine posting history display by board (view only posts from a certain board).
This is probably the least used function, and I may remove it in the future...
If the length of a URL in your post is over 70 characters, clicking "Edit" inserts a space in it. If you forget to remove it before applying the edit, the link breaks. The script removes the space automatically.
Also, automatically converts double hyphens into dashes in your posts.
Recent Updates2 March 2014
- UI improvement: New, stylish design for the tooltip of "local time".
- Minor bug fix: After inline editing, clicking "view your edited message" will now always refresh the page, even after multiple edits.
- Opacity level of signatures can now be set only between 10% and 100% (removed 0%).
- Bug fix: Local time didn't work on the timestamps of edits.
- Permalink will now respect the view mode settings of whoever clicks the link.
29 January 2014
- The Inline Reply/Edit + Markup + Hotkeys functionality is back!
- And it now works even better: The page doesn't reload even after the final submit (and not just after previews).
- Deleted the separate IMDb Boards markup & hotkeys script and fully integrated its code into this script. So if you were using both, you should uninstall that script and update this one.
23-26 January 2014
Major update of the markup & hotkeys functionality:
- Made compatible with the new design of the Message Boards.
- Removed the functionality implemented by the IMDb.
- Removed the "List" drop-down with all its functionality.
- Removed the cross-browser compatibility. (The script was rewritten for Firefox, and may not work in other browsers.)
- Changed the "set focus" hotkey from "Ctrl+Shift" to "Tab". (The former was strangely misbehaving. Besides, "Tab" is much easier to use.)
- New feature: Markup hotkeys.
- New feature: [link=...] markup.
- New feature: Shift+click to insert the tags swapped. Useful for quotes.
- New feature: S̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ markup.
- New feature: Automatically converts double hyphens into dashes.
20 January 2014 (MAJOR UPDATE)
- Rewrote the script to make it compatible with the new design of the Message Boards.
- Removed some of the options that were implemented by the IMDb or that I think weren't useful enough (it was necessary to remove as much functionality as possible so that I could release an update as quickly as possible):
- Removed the Autoscroll option.
- Removed the Auto-open Favorites function. (IMDb has implemented it.)
- Removed the Fix "Top" link function. (IMDb has fixed it.)
- Removed the Fix PM arrows function. (IMDb has removed them altogether.)
- Removed the New PM alert option. (IMDb now notifies of new PMs on all boards pages.) Instead, the script now makes the PM link bold if you have unread PMs (though it should have been fixed by the IMDb too!).
- Removed the Jump to posts function. (Biographies can't be loooong anymore.)
- Removed the Nest indentation indicator option. (It should be implemented in a fundamentally different way.)
- Removed the View mode links function. (Its purpose is practically unachievable in the new design.)
- Removed the Delete / Edit in read-only threads function. (Please ask the IMDb to fix it on the site. And/or use this script's "Delete posts from profile" function.)
- Removed the Notes in user profiles option.
- Removed the Sort friends by latest activity option.
- Removed the Reorder Favorites option.
- Removed the Staff indicator option. (IMDb has implemented it.)
- Set the Link to post function to always work (removed it from the settings list).
Also, it will now just copy the link instead of displaying it.
- Set the Delete posts instantly function to always work (removed it from the settings list).
Also made the design of the deleted posts similar to the IMDb's new design of deleted posts (semitransparent).
- Set the Delete posts from profile function to always work (removed it from the settings list) but added a delete confirmation for the first click on the current page.
Also replaced the delete icons with those IMDb uses elsewhere on the site (like in Lists).
- Temporarily switched the Inline Reply/Edit + Markup + Hotkeys functionality off — will bring it back in the next update when I rewrite it for the new design.
(I've made the settings list as small as possible because the best interface is no interface at all.)
- In addition to the script's hotkeys, you can also use Windows' built-in hotkeys when the cursor is inside the Body text area:
[Home/End]moves the cursor to the beginning/end of the text;
[←/→]moves the cursor left/right word by word (rather than character by character); as a result,
[←/→]selects text word by word (rather than character by character when using just
[←/→]) for deleting/replacing it.
"(unknown)" boards in profiles
- If you see such boards in a user's posting history (example), it means the corresponding title/name has been deleted from the database (for whatever reason). When this happens, its message board doesn't get deleted automatically along with the rest of the data (which is a bug). The links to the boards & posts remain in users' profiles but they cannot be accessed by clicking on them (you'll get an error message).
The way to access those threads is to change the "tt" (title) or "nm" (name) number in the URL to a number of a title/name that exists in the database (increasing or decreasing the last digit by 1 usually does the trick). The title/name displayed at the top of the thread will correspond to the new number but now you'll be able to read the thread and delete your posts. You can also use this script to delete such posts directly from your profile page.