Script Summary: Add an embedded filter management module in message display page, which makes adding a filter much easier <<--- Change log: A quick fix for display bug --->>
Gmail filter assistant now only works with new version of Gmail.
Note: Old auto update doesn't work in new Gmail. Please update the source manually. And filter data structure has been changed, please backup your filter data again.
GMail Filter Assistant was featured on LifeHacker on April 9th as "Download of the Day!", and is included in Lifehacker Code: Better Gmail
- After I create the filter and apply it to existing conversations, it seems the filter doesn't work at all on existing conversations.
A: Since the script is a "foreign object" to Gmail, Gmail doesn't know what the script does to it, so it won't refresh automatically on the changes the script makes. Click on "Inbox" link once or twice to refresh the conversation list.
- Can I use this script to migrate the labels and filters in one gmail account to another?
A: Yes you can. Click any email in any conversation and click "Filter assistant" link to open the GFA, see the dropdown menu in the middle right? use Backup/Restore filter&label to migrate the settings.
Please be advised that when you restore settings from saved data to another account, its existing filters will be overwritten if their filtering criteria are the same as some in the saved data. So, **BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING**.
Update log (see full log here)
- Minor update to make the script work with the new message id in Gmail.
- Fixed a bug of language setting. Now GFA works on Chinese version Gmail, again :P.
- Quick fix for display bug.
- Small bug of label order fixed.
- Update for Gmail changes.
- Small display bug fixed.
- New look of Gmail filter Script! v0.16 released. Now GFA is mail specific, i.e., each email in a conversation will have its own GFA link. Note that the link in the "More actions" menu is removed, since the yellow tag is removed and hiding it doesn't make sense any longer. Many thanks to Bernice Freas, John McNamara and Jörg Menke for testing the script.
- Some users complained that the update link didn't work for them. So I did modification to point the link to the script homepage instead of the script itself.
- Small bug on escaped character fixed. thanks, Richard It seems the special characters used in the filter criteria and labels cause a lot of trouble :P Some characters have been handled correctly in the latest version. I will do a systematic research on this issue and make a patch soon.
- If you don't have Firefox web browser installed on your computer, you can download it here
- Install Greasemonkey extension in Firefox, find the latest version here. A detailed installation guide can be found here
- Install Gmail Filter Assistant by clicking the "Install this script" link on this page (a black button in the upper-right corner), and follow the procedure.
- Login your Gmail account as normal
- Open any mail you received, and you can see a link near the "Reply" at the upper right corner at each email in the thread (see screenshot 1), click it
- The Filter Assistant workspace will appear, fill the form as what you do in the Gmail "Setting/Filter" and click "Create Filter".
- Filter backup/restore (Done)
- Consolidate filters that target to the same label and have the same action list
- Provide suggested filter criteria when clicking the criteria textbox
- Filter management extension that can view/edit/add/delete filter more easily
- find a way to utilize multi-language resource from Google.
- Multi-language support
- Named filter
- Multi-label for one email
- Put GFA link in "More Actions" menu
Grab the error messages and send them to me
If you find the script doesn't work for you, please do the following:
1. open menu item: Tools->Error Console, and click "Errors" on the top.
2. Clear all the messages (by clicking the cross mark on the upper-right corner).
3. Login your GMail account, and click any email, do whatever you want to do.
4. see if there's any error messages in the Error Console, if yes, copy/paste them and email them to me.
If you want any functionality to be added, let me know.