Script Summary: Makes YouTube links on Kongregate chat much more tolerable in chat and makes all links clickable. Builds from Ventero's framework.
I've begun working on a Flash game with some others from Kongregate, and that will probably eat up the minimal free time I was using to work on this script. If you have urgent bugs, make sure to post them on my Kongregate shoutbox.
If you decide to update this script yourself, let me know, and I'll gladly post stable changes back into this baseline.What it does: This script checks chat messages for urls and converts them to clickable links in the chat. For YouTube links, it fetches the video name and uses that as the link text so you know what video you're clicking on before you actually load the video. Additionally, it puts a small version of the video in a "video tray" which can be accessed by clicking a triangle in the top right corner of the screen (or the "Toggle Video Area" script command). If the video doesn't allow embedding, the link name will let you know, and no video will appear in the tray.
To run this script, you MUST have Ventero's Kongregate framework script installed. May get away from the framework eventually, but it works for now.I've also been told to recommend Ventero's Fullscreen Chat Plugin, but since the videos are playing in the tray right now, it's not so necessary. Be aware, this is still alpha release type stuff. With that in mind, here are some known bugs:
- Lots of reports of general failure on Chrome
- Can't remove videos from video area
- Doesn't detect links in other parts of Kong
- Parse additional types of YouTube links
- Should only add videos to bar from user's current chat room (i.e. either "room chat" or "game chat" but not both)
- Script should notify users of new script versions and offer to auto-update.
When the number of videos is takes more space than the screen is wide, the video box wraps to a second line- Resolved 10/20 Release If multiple versions of the script are installed, they all run, causing awfulness.- Resolved 10/18 Release Doesn't detect links in whispers- Resolved 10/17 Release Does not work since major Kong chat update- Resolved 10/17 Release Invalid video links result in ugly white box- Resolved 6/12 Release Unembeddable should not even attempt to embed- Resolved 6/12 Release Urls with a YouTube ID that had a - (dash) in it were failing- Resolved 6/10 Release Corner tab is too big- Resolved 5/31 Release Only way to open/close video tray is user command- Resolved 5/26 Release Icon is crappier than crap.- Resolved 5/26 Release - Thanks, musicdemon Video resets when another message is posted- Resolved 5/21 Release Video gets pushed up by other chats as they are posted- Resolved 5/21 Release Extra parameters in the YouTube link still end up in chat. Like &fmt=22- Resolved 5/21 Release
- Ability to resize video
- Ability to loop video
- Ability to see YouTube video data
- Ability to play video in lightbox
- Ability to play video in chat area again, but less sucky
- Ability to set triangle corner (top/bottom left/right)
- Make it so full of animated shininess that you don't even care about games any more.
- Load page titles as link names for non-YouTube links
- Load images for preview for links to images
Ability to switch to HQ/HD- Resolved 6/12 Release. YouTube embedded player now detects qualities for you after you hit play and presents options within the player.