Script Summary: This script adds an "Enlarge" link to all search results on ebay.co.uk and ebay.com. Hover the mouse over the link to enlarge the thumbnail picture.
Note for Google Chrome users: This script was designed for use with Firefox/Greasemonkey. It runs OK in Google Chrome, but some options such as the settings editor and the automatic update checker don't work. To get the full functionality, I recommend you use a script manager such as Tampermonkey, which provides additional compatibility for Greasemonkey scripts.
About the script
This script adds an 'Enlarge' link to all search results on ebay.co.uk and ebay.com. To view the enlarged picture, just hover your mouse over the link:
eBay introduced a new gallery view page design in September 2012. There, the Enlarge link is overlaid on top of the gallery image and will appear when you hover the mouse over the result:
Sometimes the script can show you more than one enlarged picture. When this happens, you can press the left/right arrows or scroll the mouse wheel to see them all.
The script has a settings dialog which can be accessed on My eBay, shop and search results pages using the Greasemonkey menu
Tools > Greasemonkey > User Script Commands > Enlarge Picture Script settings
or the "Script settings" link located at the top of search results:
The settings dialog looks like this:
These options are available:
- Turn on 'click to enlarge' mode
Select this option if you would prefer to click the Enlarge link to view the pictures.
- Add enlarge links to items listed in My eBay
Select this option to have Enlarge links appearing on listings in My eBay as well as search and shop pages.
- Check for script updates automatically (recommended)
The script can do a daily update check and notify you if a new version is available. You can also do a manual check using the "Check for script update now" link.
- eBay can be a bit glitchy with listing/gallery pictures, and this may affect the script. A message "Error loading picture" will be shown if the script is unable to load the enlarged picture for any reason.
- Generally, only one gallery picture will be shown (the thumbnail picture), even if the listing itself has more pictures. However in some cases the script is able to display all the pictures.
- Sometimes the enlarged picture will not be the same picture as shown in the thumbnail. This can happen if the listing is a 'variation' listing and the thumbnail is showing the specific variation searched for (for example, a specific colour), whereas the enlarged picture is just the general non-variation-specific picture for that listing.
WITHOUT THE SCRIPT - NO ENLARGE OPTION...
AFTER THE SCRIPT IS INSTALLED...
AFTER HOVERING OVER THE NEW ENLARGE LINK...
Version 0.9.1(Updated 28th February 2013)
- Fixed: Enlarged pictures were sometimes cropped on lower resolution displays
- Fixed: Didn't work on the new search results page design
- Pressing F1 while viewing an enlarged picture will now open the script settings window
Version 0.9(Updated 3rd November 2012)
- Updated the appearance of the image pop-up and scroll box
- Fixed a problem with enlarged pictures sometimes not displaying correctly in Google Chrome
- Improved compatibility with the new search results page design
- Other minor bug-fixes and code improvements
Version 0.8.3(Updated 30th September 2012)
- Fixed: Enlarge links were sometimes only shown on the first 11 results
- Fixed: Now works on the new gallery view page design (the Enlarge link is overlaid on the gallery image)
- Better support for Opera and other browsers that don't use the Greasemonkey API
Version 0.8.2(Updated 9th July 2012)
- A few bugfixes
Version 0.8.1(Updated 28th May 2012)
- Fixed an issue where the "More options" pop-up on some results was blank
- Pictures are now always enlarged to at least 400px on the longest side
- Starting from the next update, the script installer will be run automatically after you agree to update
Version 0.8(Updated 24th March 2012)
- Fixed various problems caused by the updated search page layout
Version 0.7(Updated 12th October 2011)
- Fixed a problem that caused Enlarge to not appear on some results
- Better compatibility with Google Chrome
- Various other minor improvements
Version 0.6.4(Updated 14th August 2011)
- Script now works again on eBay UK search results
Version 0.6.3(Updated 22nd March 2011)
- BUGFIX: fixed a problem that caused Firefox to freeze when enlarging some pictures
- YOU SHOULD UPDATE THE SCRIPT EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM
- Added back the "script settings" link at the top of search results
Version 0.6.2(Updated 5th August 2010)
- Added a workaround for an eBay change that caused the enlarge option to appear only on the first 10 results on some pages.
Version 0.6.1(Updated 25th July 2010)
- Added a script settings dialog, accessible from the Greasemonkey menu or by clicking the new "Script settings" link at the top of search results
- ADDED BY REQUEST: the script can now also show the enlarge option in your buying, selling and watch lists in My eBay. This feature is disabled by default, but can be turned on by selecting the "Add enlarge links in My eBay" setting in the settings dialog
Version 0.6.0(Updated 20th June 2010)
- Now adds an Enlarge option to all results that have a gallery picture
- Now works on shop pages as well as search results
- Various other minor improvements
Version 0.5.2(Updated 23rd April 2010)
- Fixed a glitch with the arrow control on the new gallery view page design
- Faster display of the first picture, especially on multi-picture listings
- At smaller window sizes, enlarged pictures are now resized to fit the window height
Version 0.5.1(Updated 20th April 2010)
- Fixed a problem that caused the script to stop working on ebay.com
- Fully updated and rewritten
- Now enlarges all pictures on results that have more than one gallery picture