Script Summary: Highlights, fades, or removes Facebook's fan page suggestions
Copyright: 2009-2010 (C) Nathan Tuggy (<http://nathan.tuggycomputer.com/>; <http://userscripts.org/users/root>)
License: GPL version 3 or any later version; <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>
SummaryThis script is useful if Facebook frequently annoys you with foolish suggestions for fan pages. In particular, current options for handling fan page suggestions include:
- Fade entire suggestion
- Make each suggestion mostly transparent (currently, 35% opacity), and give the Hide button a dark-grey background.
- Fade suggestion picture
- Make each suggestion's picture mostly transparent (currently, 25% opacity), and give the Hide button a black background.
- Hide suggestion completely
- Automatically click the Hide button for each suggestion, permanently removing it. (Facebook may later regenerate the suggestion, but this will only occur after a considerable interval.)
- Hide suggestion after delay
- Automatically hide suggestions after a certain configurable delay (120 seconds, or 2 minutes, by default; see Configuration Settings for more information). While delay is passing, suggestions are styled with struck-through text, so you can more easily determine which suggestions will shortly be removed and, if you like, add them before that time.
Note that, as of version 2.1, the script will also handle suggestions added dynamically to pages as you accept or hide existing suggestions.
I no longer use Facebook actively, so this script is unlikely to receive updates, unless someone wants to take it over or at any rate report bugs. Sorry about that, but without daily usage, I can't keep it bug-free with Facebook's changes.
Configuration SettingsClick Naf Options to open the configuration screen. Currently, only the following two settings are available:
- The action to take on each fan page suggestion; one of Fade entire suggestion, Fade suggestion picture, Hide suggestion completely, or Hide suggestion after delay.
- Auto-Hide Delay
- Only applicable if action is set to hide after a delay; number of seconds to delay before hiding suggestions
Ongoing Development Status
Include auto-updating functionality Use GM_config user-friendly configuration system, instead of requiring clunky manual editing of about:config settings Automatically re-run suggestion-handler when actions complete, in case they removed one or more fan suggestions and replaced them with other fan suggestions
- Make config screen look nicer
- Add a nice-looking highlight action (previous attempts all looked ugly, so highlight feature was removed)
- Add more actions (ideas please!)
Some ideas so far:
- In complete contradiction of this script's stated and original purpose, could simply click the Become a Fan link automatically, or perhaps after a certain delay
- Pop up a message window ready to type a funny or mocking message about the first fan page suggestion (OK, this is random, very blue-sky and strange)
- Allow multiple actions to be taken on a given suggestion
Some ideas so far:
Changelog/RoadmapNote: the changelog only includes entries for major, minor, and revision numbers, not build numbers (the fourth dot-separated number in the version).
- 2.2.2: Also select invitation items from Requests page (see above); make config screen look nicer — first public release in the 2.2 series
- 2.1.2: Handle dynamic addition of new suggestions (see above) — first and only public release in the 2.1 series
- 2.0.10: Bugfix release to fix yet further Facebook changes, and improve reliability despite future changes; restored proper functioning on Requests page
- 2.0.9: Added political fan pages ("Become a Supporter") to suggestions searched for; updated code to look for a list of possible link texts instead of just one
- 2.0.8: Updated to work with more of the endless Facebook changes; fixed transient timing bug with options link not being placed; styled options link better
- 2.0.7: Cleaned up commented-out code; shortened option names
- 2.0.6: Initial 2.x release; began using GM_config with custom CSS, modified from the example in GM_config Extender
- 1.1.0: First versioned release; began using Userscripts Updater for updates
- Updates to metadata, license, configuration
- Initial release