Script Summary: Megavideo was shut down. This used to be a way to download megavideo movies directly, so you don't get spammed with porn ads. It also provided information like video length and size.
You will be missed.
On 19 January 2012 the United States Department of Justice seized and shut down the file hosting site Megaupload.com and commenced criminal cases against its owners and others. On 20 January Hong Kong Customs froze more than 300 million Hong Kong dollars (US$39 million) in assets belonging to the company. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaupload#Legal_case
This script is originally from a random post by sizzlemctwizzle, which provided the decrypt function, as well as the general styling for the UI.
|The following is archived content related to this script, including revision log messages|
Cause and license
I created this script with the intention of providing a stable and clear source for the code which deals with retrieving video files off Megavideo. As well as give an example of how an open source approach can enable everyone to extend the website with useful features.
This script is distributed under Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike (by-sa). If you're a developer looking to use and expand this script, please take a minute to familiarize yourself with the license, and follow it accordingly by linking back to this page, and giving me credit for it.
If you're publishing a user script, also consider building it as an extension of this script, for the sake of compatibility.
update logJanuary 22, 2012
Megavideo was shut down (details above) Recording the install count at 56,523
December 22, 2011
- Megavideo's variables have moved from the inline script tag back to the external xml, which has also changed location — now extracting vars from the xml
- The one exception is the var
v, which remains in the inline script tag. It's syntax and whitespace were distorted, in a clear attempt to block this script and scripts derived from this script. In particular, it targets scripts that use the exact same simplistic regular expression (that made no attempts to predict white space changes) as the one I wrote for this script, by adding an extra space after the
=operator. This has also been fixed.
- Cleaned up code
- Added support for Chrome
z-indexto be higher than anything else on the page, including the ad that was overlapping the download link.
April 12, 2011
Fixed bug related to XML parsing error caused by an extra space at the begining of Megavideo's XML.
February 13, 2011
Added a donation button, updated screenshot.
January 10, 2011
Fixed a bug related to the megaupload check. Caused due to update in Megaupload.
Decmber 7, 2010
Fixed a bug caused due to update in Megavideo.
August 12, 2010
Added support for Opera. Doesn't include Megaupload link due to security restrictions in Opera.
August 10, 2010
Added rounded corners to tags.
May 31, 2010
Now shows the file name and upload date in the page title, this is helpful when you're looking for a page in the browsers' history. Again, if you want any of these new features to be optional, say so and I'll see what I can do.
November 13, 2009
The script has reached 10,000 installs! :D
- Added a link to a Megaupload copy of a video, when available. This can help bypass Megavideo's time limit, server speed limits, and get you a much higher quality video in most cases.
- Fixed bug on video player. Now displays a screencap again.
- Resized video player
Removed Megaporn, doesn't work for now.
March 26, 2009
Had a few days of down time due to an update on megavideo, works now. Also added license.
March 15, 2009
- Changed the video player to Megavideo's other player, that they provide for embedding videos on external websites. Now we'll get a screencap instead of an advert when the page loads.
- Cleaned up the original decrypt function
If you want any of these new features to be optional, say so and I'll see what I can do.
- Added length and size tags
- Added megabyte per minute feature for approx. quality estimate
- The script connects to the XML again now, for these
Now suggests the video's title for the name of the file in the download window. Thanks exoflux!
March 10, 2009
urldecodefor var values
- Added the date to the tooltip (
So /now/ megavideo has an ugly ad right under the play button ...can you tell they're getting desperate? lol
list of updates.
- Megavideo's implementation moved to an inline script tag instead of the former external xml — now extracting vars from the tag
- Added the file name to the tooltip (
?d=*as well as