Script Summary: improves usability of epguides.com
First, a warning: this script is a work in progress, and is not complete. However, it is usable.
epguides.com is a good, simple site which lists airdates for TV episodes. Well, it was a good site until it became too integrated with TV.com. The content is good, but the HTML is pretty bad, the navigation is crap and it looks ugly.
So this script does some useful things:
- Removes information that's completely useless to most people (production numbers?)
- Attempts to replace the unformatted text with structured markup wherever possible
- Fits more on the page by shifting cast and cast photo to a second column
- Removes links to TV.com, amazon, etc.
- Adds internal navigation (jump to season)
- Adds external navigation (imdb, wikipedia, torrent sites)
- Adds a proper search which takes you directly to the page
- Colourises the dates so you can quickly see which episodes have yet to air
- Makes the interface look pretty (for certain values of "pretty")
Episodes are often numbered out of sequence Some episode numbers are 0 or duplicated Some seasons appear more than once
- Detecting which episodes are specials isn't 100%
- Some pages have inconsistent font size
- Some pages (eg "Lost") are quite broken with unclosed tags making things appear in the wrong columns
As an explanation most of the problems are because the original HTML is just plain, pre-formatted text which doesn't take consistent formatting from one page to another. So my re-working of it is hit-and-miss. Some pages display perfectly and others have glitches. Work in progress, like I said.
Comments welcome :)
Version 0.2 (7 Feb 2009)
- Added second copy of season navigation at the bottom
- Added styling support for 404-pages and main page
- Added replacement logo
- Fixed bug where episodes with no date broke the layout
- Added tacky stripes to the background for no good reason
- Added link back to this userscripts page at the bottom
Version 0.21 (8 Feb 2009)
- Removed odd bits of extra text that were popping up on some pages
- Removed episode numbers for specials
- Removed duplicate season sections