Script Summary: No autoplay; buttons to play HD/HQ with MP4 or Flash plugin; download. Compatible with Firefox/Safari/Opera/Chrome/others, translated into English/Spanish/German/French/Italian.
Copyright: 2009 by Victor Pimentel
License: Public Domain
I've written another script that works more o less like this one, but in every page but Youtube. If you want to have a full experience, you should install both: YouTube Perfect - Embedded version.
Initially based on this Adam Katz's script, now it's more powerful and it works on many Greasemonkey platforms (Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome). Some credit goes to this Mislav Marohnić's script and this Anmar Mansur's script too.
- Menu to change these options: Every following option can be changed right from this menu (upper-right corner).
- No auto-play: No player is loaded until you click Play, though this behaviour is configurable (you can allow autoplay if desired).
- Flash is optional: The movie player (often Quicktime) is used on the higher quality MP4 version, but the Flash player it's also available.
- HD/HQ: It always loads the highest quality version, HD if available. Links to play the normal version are also available.
- Download: The MP4 version of the video can also be downloaded through a button.
- Lights out: The rest of the page turns black while watching any video.
- Previews: You get previews of three different parts of the movie plus the main preview.
- No comments/annotations: Comments are collapsed (you can expand them with a click). Annotations are also hidden by default, given that they are used poorly.
- Expandable: You can expand non-HD videos like the HD ones.
- Autoupdater: To avoid broken styles, this script automatically notifies you if there's an update.
- Multiplatform: This script has been succesfully proved in Firefox, Safari/Fluid, Opera and Chrome (latest developer build or Chromium).
- Multilingual: This script automatically detects your language in Youtube and translates its buttons. For now, it has support for English, Spanish, German, French and Italian, but any help is welcome.
With the exception of the buttons themselves, it's posible to dynamically enable/disable any of the above by changing its option in the menu. This works on Greasemonkey/Firefox, Greasekit/Safari and possibly other browsers. However if you want you can manually modify the code, by changing the related variable from
false, right at the top of the script for your convenience.
When you click the preview, it then loads your movie player (your MP4 plugin, e.g. Quicktime, or if you change the
embed variable in the code or press the Flash button, the YouTube flash player). This is especially helpful for people fed up with Flash constantly crashing their browser. It's also useful if your movie plugin is more efficient than your Flash plugin (in my computer, using Flash there's a 20%~25% CPU overload, in others can cut the CPU usage by half), and it can play HD videos in certain machines where Flash cannot.
As you can see from the screen shot below, the previews can be very useful, for example to avoid Ryckrolling or to load several backgrounds tabs from Youtube without triggering 10 videos.
- 1.8 - 2008/12/24
- Added full compatibility with Chrome. Please use Chromium or the latest developer build of Chrome to activate userscripts and install this.
- It also works nicely with Opera 10.50 pre-alpha, with no lags or delays.
- 1.7 - 2008/12/23
- Italian translation added! Thanks to rospo84.
- 1.6 - 2008/12/23
- Fixed broken script due to changes in Youtube code. Sorry to all for the delay.
- 1.5 - 2008/08/17
- French translation added! Thanks to Ceolien.
- Fixed broken changing to HQ/HD in Flash mode to changes in Youtube code.
- Fixed broken "Options" menu to changes in Youtube code.
- Enhanced perfomance zoom mode: it now expands Flash without delay.
- Enhanced mp4 plugin: it has the same background color than the page.
- 1.1 - 2008/04/08
- When playing with the MP4 plugin, time is tracked in the title (only checked with Quicktime).
- Fixed broken markup due to changes in Youtube code.
- 1.0 - 2008/03/19
- 0.9.9 - 2008/03/15
- Enhanced menu (images instead of unicode characters, corrected width...).
- When activating lights out, it jumps to the video.
- Play button has been redesigned.
- 0.9.5 - 2008/03/13
- Menu compatible with Safari (Greasekit) and other browsers: options are stored between sessions without modifying the code.
- New option and button to force "lights out" mode in every video. Thanks to this Anmar Mansur's script.
- Menu retouched, now it's much clearer and easier to understand.
- New option to correct width in 4:3 videos.
- Fixed some bugs.
- 0.9.2 - 2008/03/10
- New option to allow/avoid autoplay.
- New option to autoexpand every video like the HD ones.
- 0.9.1 - 2008/03/10
- Added German translation! Übersetzt ins Deutsche! Thanks to Lucas Bares.
- 0.9 - 2009/03/10
- Full HD support, including MP4 in 720p in widescreen view.
- New menu to change every option in the script (check screenshots).
- Other minor changes.
- 0.6.4 - 2008/02/17
- Video responses are hidden by default.
- 0.6.3 - 2008/02/17
- Fixed bug that maintaned the update button two days after an update.
- 0.6.2 - 2008/02/16
- 4:3 videos are detected and expanded by default. This way any video fits the maximum width.
- 0.6.1 - 2008/02/07
- Fixed bug that prevented the script from loading when comments were disabled.
- 0.6 - 2008/01/30
- Compatible with GreaseMonkey, GreaseKit (Safari, Fluid) and Opera.
- Auto Check Updates (only Firefox).
- Blue buttons showed by default.
- New option to disable Auto Check Updates.
- New option to show logs (not useful for anyone but me).
- Fixed some bugs, especially the integration with the HD version.
- Rewritten almost entirely, in a more elegant style, less hackish. Based strongly on many functions from Endless Tweets.
- 0.5.5 - 2008/01/26
- Buttons display properly again.
- New option: to show yellow buttons (like "Subscribe") or blue buttons (like "Search").
- The Flash player loads the highest quality versions by default (HD if available).
- HD videos expand to fit all the available space.
- 0.5.4 - 2008/01/08
- Spanish translation available! Ya está traducido al español!
- Now detects the language automatically (open to petitions).
- 0.5.3 - 2008/01/04
- Buttons are more concise.
- Thumbnails are now in only one row.
- Youtube annotations are hidden by default (added an option to show them).
- Expand button has been enhanced with Contract option.
- Flash now obeys the Expand/Contract button.
- Both MP4 plugin and Flash plugin expand without reloading.
- HQ and HD videos should work (for HD, select "Play Flash" and "Expand").
- Other minor interface changes.
- 0.5.2 - 2008/12/27
- New button to "expand" videos with aspect ratio of 4:3 (non-widescreen).
- 0.5.1 - 2008-10-13
- Initial release.