Script Summary: Brings back the Share button and Friends to Google Reader.
You want Google Reader back ? You found the right userscript.
This will add a [Share] button to you Google Reader and the ability to follow friends by entering only their email address.
What is a userscript ? How do I use that ?
- In Chrome, download the file (click install, top right of this page) then in chrome go to chrome://chrome/extensions/ and drag the file into that page.
- In Firefox, you just need the greasemonkey plugin, and then you just need to click "install" on this page.
- In Safari, take a look at greasekit. It will enable support for userscripts in Safari.
- If you're using Internet Explorer, please stop. Get Chrome, Firefox or Safari and get a better web experience + this plugin ;)
If it doesn't work, contact me so we can fix the bug. Here with the "Issues" link or piremmanuel at gmail . com or Twitter @lipsumar
More features to come, like the comments.
This is still in beta, but it works. Nicer interface will come later.
Some long posts will appear shortened.
Read my post about why I do it and how I see the futur of the plugin.
How does this work ?
The old share button used to send the items your shared to your public feed.
That means you actually owned an RSS feed, and anyone could subscribe to it, using any feed reader.
This was very nice because it is open, so I made the plugin to work the exact same way.
The only difference between this plugin and Google's original share feature is that your public feed is now hosted on lipsumarium.com, rather than google.com
If I was Google, I would host it on google.com, but i'm not and that's also why you now need a password: before the posts to your public feed were secured by Google, so no one else could post something on your feed.
To make sure this does not happen, I set up a password based security system. I use your email address provided by Google Reader and your Google ID (which was public too in Reader's original feature) associated with a password. Your password is encrypted when it travels through the web.
Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any question, bug report or ideas for new features. piremmanuel at gmail . com or Twitter @lipsumar
- New feature: "Remember me for 2 weeks" on login screen.
- Fixed a bug: in Firefox, Google Reader would stop working after an item is shared. Thanks C.Jones for reporting.
- Fixed a bug: the script would only insert if you were on google.com, this is fixed now. Thanks Ekios for reporting.
- Fixed "The user has no account here" when you add friends by email before your first share. Thanks martialc for reporting
- Added Shift + S support.
- Fixed email validation bug (thanks theazz for reporting)
- Fixed the spinning thing on FF
- Works on Firefox with greasemonkey plugin.
- Fixed the subscribe module that didn't tell it sends a validation email.
- The plugin will now auto-update