Script Summary: Takes you to the last read post when viewing threads. Also shows the number of new replies next to updated threads. Works on the US, CA, UK and AU boards.
Last Updated : 17 JUNE 2012
About the script
Google Chrome users: This script uses Greasemonkey-specific features that aren't available in native Chrome, and it won't work properly unless you use a GM-compatible script manager such as Tampermonkey.
This script is designed for users of eBay's US, CA, UK and AU discussion boards. It adds a couple of features that hopefully make the boards a bit easier to use:
1. THE NUMBER OF NEW REPLIES ARE SHOWN NEXT TO UPDATED THREADS
2. CLICKING ON AN UPDATED THREAD TAKES YOU TO THE LAST POST YOU READ
One useful feature of the old boards was that when you clicked on an updated thread, you went back to the last post you read. This script adds a similar feature to the new boards.
Note: Existing threads won't be affected until after you've viewed them once with the script installed.
A new 'Userscript Preferences' section is added to the community preferences page. The following settings can be configured:
- Check for script updates automatically (recommended)
Enable or disable script updates checks. Disabling this option means you will not be notified when the script gets updated with new features or bugfixes.
- Show the number of new replies next to updated threads
Show or hide the text that shows how many new replies there are in updated threads.
- Go to the last read post even when viewing threads with no new replies
Control how threads with no new replies are handled. When this option is selected (default), the script will load these threads at the last post. Disabling this option will prevent the script from handling them, and they'll revert to loading at the top of the page.
- Show the thread preview balloons
Show or hide the opening post preview that appears when you hover the mouse over a thread title.
Unless disabled in Preferences (see above), the script will check daily for any updates and notify you when a new version is available. Manual update checks can also be done using the menu command in Tools > Greasemonkey > User Script Commands.
- Existing threads won't be affected until they've been viewed at least once after installing the script.
- Going to the last read post won't work if you open the thread in a new tab or window using the right-click context menu.
- Occasionally an updated thread might not open at the last read post as expected. For example, this can happen if a post in the thread is removed.
- Some very large threads might not show the number of new replies.
- The script won't work well when a user also signs in and uses the boards on another computer. That's because the post number data stored by the script won't get updated correctly.